Latest Posts

{Review} Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

By 6:38 pm

Author: Stephanie Perkins 
Release Date: September 29th 2011
Publishers: Dutton Books 
Pages: 338
Genre: Contemporary 
Links: Goodreads | Author's Website  | Buy the book

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Review
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love Stephanie Perkins writing! As you know I read Anna and the French Kiss a while back and I just fell in love with the world of contemporary. I was worried that after reading Perkins other book that it would be hard to beat the first one. (Like a one hit wonder) I can't say this was better but it is still high up there in the cuteness factor!

I had no idea what this book was about and I was worried that it would be the same sort of characters. Was I completely wrong! Perkins has the most unique characters I've read and the protagonist, Lola is a prime example. She wasn't the average teenager and showed her individuality by being a new person everyday. And by being a new person I mean dressing up and wearing crazy and cool outfits. If I were to describe her in one word it would be quirky! This story is about her going through the trials and tribulations of being in a rocky relationship and finding her true self.

Although the story is a very cliche chick-lit I like how it was unique. For one, Lola had two dads! It's not often that I read about gay parents and I think it's definitely a topic that should be written more often. The one thing I like about Perkins writing is that it's easy to read. The words flow really well and I finished it in no time. Stephanie Perkins has the best teenage voice and it was easy to become engrossed into the story.

How can I write a review and not mention the romance? I can't say that I liked Cricket Bell better than St Clair but he was so lovable! He was an unusual character (along with the name!), very nerdy! He has a talent for creating and fixing things with the most simplest of objects. He was that cute sort of awkward person but in the good way and he was always there when Lola needed him. They have one of the cutest relationships and they would always speak with each other through the windows.

Lola and the Boy Next Door was a cute read and it definitely got me out of a reading slump. It makes me wish I had a boy next door just like cricket haha! Anna and St Clair did make an appearance in the book and it was cool seeing them in another characters eyes. Stephanie Perkins always manages to make me want to be these characters which is totally unfair at times! It was nice reading a unique but cliche contemporary and I can't wait until Stephanie Perkins next book!


5 comments

  1. Stop it Francoise, you're making me want a re-read. Haha :p I totally agree, Perkins is a contemporary god. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Francoise, I haven't read this one before but I've heard lots of people enjoy her writing. I'm glad it helped with your reading slump!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACK! Your review is totes adorbs! What I hate about Stephanie Perkins' books is how she makes me wants things. Things that I can't have. Including but not limited to [since Isla and the Happily Ever After still hasn't been released] Etienne St. Clair, Cricket Graham Bell, Lola's fashion sense, the dining hall at SOAP, Calliope Graham Bell, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving that the MC has two dads! I REALLY want to read this book (and Anna and the French Kiss for that matter!) as everyone seems to love Perkins' books and I feel like I'm missing out. Big time. :(

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really does sound like such a sweet, romantic read! Like you, I didn't really know much about it, even though I have a copy. You've made me want to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete